View Single Post
Old 2-Dec-2011, 2:18 PM   #3
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoverstreet View Post
Hey ya'll! What's up? Got another reception question for ya. This is my girlfriend's grandmother's place. The only thing she can get is KAIT no matter which way the antenna is turned. Why is that? Looks like she ought to be able to get a couple more things. The antenna looks to be a HBU55. ...
Your girlfriend's grandmother lives in an area with very weak signals. The primary reason that she receives KAIT is that it is one of her two strongest signals. The Antennacraft HBU55 is a High-VHF/UHF, but I am confident that the owner's antenna is an old antenna that only kinda looks like the HBU55. My bet is that it can receive UHF channels only weakly if at all. KAIT (RF-8) broadcasts on High-VHF. KEMV (RF-13) also broadcasts on High-VHF with a stronger signal, but she doesn't receive it. I suspect an old corroded antenna.

GroundUrMast has made excellent recommendations. I suggest that you persuade the owner to follow them. Before that, however, I would recommend that she check the preamp to ensure that it is actually working. If her antenna is in good shape, she might see a whole new world with a working preamp--or no preamp at all.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote