View Single Post
Old 1-Apr-2010, 1:53 PM   #30
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I came into this antenna discussion a bit late, but after looking at your TVFool.com report, you have much weaker signals coming from Cleveland than you do from Youngstown. My first reaction is that you need to get the HBU-33 up at the top of the mast, clear of the tower. A 4221 can be side-mounted from a tower much more easily than a HBU-33 can be. As for safe minimum separation, I would say that the two antennas should be at least 4' apart vertically on the mast, however, it makes more sense to combine the signals from the two antennas as close to the antennas as you can and run one cable down the tower rather than run two cables. While you don't need a preamp for the Youngstown stations, I am a bit concerned that the HBU-33 aimed at Cleveland may need a bit of a boost becasue of the lower signal strengths and long cable leads. The issue is that it's such a pain to get up and down the tower that you need to make the decision BEFORE the equipment is installed.

If this was MY installation, I would most likely forgo the distribution amp and use a high-input preamplifier like a Winegard HDP-269 and a passive splitter instead because the preamp will overcome the insertion, cable and splitting losses earlier in the system.
Just my opinion....

Two runs of coax won't interfere with one another, so there is no concern there: i use wire-ties to secure the cable to the tower.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote