TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Antenna Recomendations (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16638)

Brokenspoke 20-Jul-2019 7:59 PM

Antenna Recomendations
 
Hello everyone and thanks up front for any help. Moved here about 25 year ago and had a antenna mounted on a short mast attached to the Chimney maybe 25 feet above the ground. We could get maybe 8 or 10 Atlanta stations and a few from Macon some days Columbus and South Carolina, flat headed over that way.

We eventually installed Hughes Satellite Direct Duo for internet and TV nothing else available here. Then came DSL and Direct TV now ATT Fixed wireless and some streaming.I think we are going to use streaming and antenna now prices are outrageous.

I have a 40 ft tower that once had Ham antenna installed, I have a bucket truck and all the means to install so here we go.

My question is probably like an oil thread over on the hot rod forums :) but I would like advice on antenna, booster, and antenna rotor. I have looked and researched and almost pulled the trigger a couple times.

I have looked at several Channel Masters, Winegard and Denny's HD Stacker.

I know there is much knowledge here so again thanks for any and all advice.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903841929d854b

Best to Everyone, Tony

GroundUrMast 20-Jul-2019 8:35 PM

Looking at the post repack info on rabbitears.info, I don't see much reason to use an all channel design. I'd opt for a Winegard HD7698P and an Antennas Direct 'Juice' preamp. If the tower puts the antenna above the trees you should do well.

I'd aim toward Atlanta. Reception from other directions would likely suffer from the effect of distance and blocking terrain.

rabbit73 20-Jul-2019 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenspoke (Post 61836)
I have a 40 ft tower that once had Ham antenna installed, I have a bucket truck and all the means to install so here we go.

My question is probably like an oil thread over on the hot rod forums :) but I would like advice on antenna, booster, and antenna rotor. I have looked and researched and almost pulled the trigger a couple times.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903841929d854b

Best to Everyone, Tony

Hello, Tony

I agree with GroundUrMast on the antenna and preamp.

Here is a report from rabbitears.info which should have a more accurate list of channels:

https://forum.tvfool.com/attachment....2&d=1563665929

If you stick with Atlanta, you shouldn't need a rotor. If you do decide on a rotor, the older Channel Master CM-9521a rotors didn't hold up for long, but the newer 9521HD rotors are getting better reviews.

If you want a heavier duty rotor for the big HD7698P antenna, I suggest the Yaesu G450A, which is a ham rotator.
https://www.dxengineering.com/search...torder=Default

Brokenspoke 21-Jul-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundUrMast (Post 61837)
Looking at the post repack info on rabbitears.info, I don't see much reason to use an all channel design. I'd opt for a Winegard HD7698P and an Antennas Direct 'Juice' preamp. If the tower puts the antenna above the trees you should do well.

I'd aim toward Atlanta. Reception from other directions would likely suffer from the effect of distance and blocking terrain.

Thank you GroundUrMast,
We did well years ago with much less height so this should be much better.

Best Regards, Tony

Brokenspoke 21-Jul-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbit73 (Post 61838)
Hello, Tony

I agree with GroundUrMast on the antenna and preamp.

Here is a report from rabbitears.info which should have a more accurate list of channels:

https://forum.tvfool.com/attachment....2&d=1563665929

If you stick with Atlanta, you shouldn't need a rotor. If you do decide on a rotor, the older Channel Master CM-9521a rotors didn't hold up for long, but the newer 9521HD rotors are getting better reviews.

If you want a heavier duty rotor for the big HD7698P antenna, I suggest the Yaesu G450A, which is a ham rotator.
https://www.dxengineering.com/search...torder=Default

Thanks rabbit73, way back I used to go on the roof to adjust the antenna some times turning to Macon but mostly after strong winds the antenna would turn a little. If I got it just right some of the weaker stations did well.

With the added height and a amplifier a rotor may not be needed, but I would like it to be a one and done install if possible although I know some tweaking may be called far (story of my life).:)

Reading reviews on amazon over all the 7698p gets 4 1/2 stars although some plastic bits seam to be in question on a few.

Any thoughts on this antenna: http://https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hdb91x

Thanks again rabbit73,
All the best to you, Tony

rabbit73 21-Jul-2019 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenspoke (Post 61840)
Reading reviews on amazon over all the 7698p gets 4 1/2 stars although some plastic bits seam to be in question on a few.

Any thoughts on this antenna: http://https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hdb91x

The HDB91X is a good antenna, but it is designed primarily for UHF. You would need a separate VHF antenna for WXIA.

Brokenspoke 22-Jul-2019 9:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbit73 (Post 61841)
The HDB91X is a good antenna, but it is designed primarily for UHF. You would need a separate VHF antenna for WXIA.

Thanks again, would definitely like to get WXIA. Maybe go with the Winegard would like to pull in FM signals as well.

Cheers, Tony

GroundUrMast 22-Jul-2019 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenspoke (Post 61842)
Thanks again, would definitely like to get WXIA. Maybe go with the Winegard would like to pull in FM signals as well.

Cheers, Tony

FM reception would call for an all-channel antenna which includes intentional support of the low-VHF band. The longer elements at the rear of this type of antenna are what provide reception capability for real channels 2 through 6 + the FM band.

A premium option would be the Winegard HD8200U or the Channel Master Advantage-100.

The Yaesu rotor suggested by rabbit73 would be an appropriate option, especially when using a large all channel antenna.

Some folks would consider an entirely separate antenna and cable run for FM.

Brokenspoke 26-Jul-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundUrMast (Post 61843)
FM reception would call for an all-channel antenna which includes intentional support of the low-VHF band. The longer elements at the rear of this type of antenna are what provide reception capability for real channels 2 through 6 + the FM band.

A premium option would be the Winegard HD8200U or the Channel Master Advantage-100.

The Yaesu rotor suggested by rabbit73 would be an appropriate option, especially when using a large all channel antenna.

Some folks would consider an entirely separate antenna and cable run for FM.

Thanks GroundUrMast, I had looked at that antenna but had not considered a separate antenna. I will do some research and try to make a determination on the best way to go.

As you can tell I am not very antenna knowledgeable.

Thanks again, Tony

GroundUrMast 26-Jul-2019 12:58 PM

I have to confess that I had not looked into the current availability of FM specific antennas. Solidsignal.com lists virtually all the options I had in mind as 'Discontinued'. There are a few simple dipole types and one or two omnidirectional types. If you are going to want to receive any weak FM signals, the modest gain of a large all channel TV/FM antenna will do a better job than the dipole or omni type FM antennas.

Tower Guy 26-Jul-2019 5:31 PM

Note that the HD Stacker is also rated for FM reception. It would also get all of the Atlanta TV stations.

Brokenspoke 1-Sep-2019 12:01 PM

Okay we are cutting Direct TV 9-14-2019, everyone's replies were greatly appreciated.

I can analyze anything beyond my understanding as I am quite OCD, so my obsessive behavior disorder acknowledged I am down to Four antennas.

As already mentioned by Ground Ur Mast the:

Winegard 8200U

Channel Master Advantage 100

Solid Signal Extreme Signal HD8200XL

Channel Master CM3020 deepest fringe

Provided performance is fairly equal then craftsmanship and durability would be the next concern.

Any further advice or should I just draw straws ? LOL:)

As always thanks and cheers, Tony

Tim 1-Sep-2019 7:04 PM

I would expect all of these antennas to be relatively similar in overall gain and performance. Of the antennas you mention, I think the two Channel Master products are the same. I have no experience with any of these antennas, but I do like the way the boom braces are mounted underneath the boom on the Channel Master antenna.

Brokenspoke 2-Sep-2019 2:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 62145)
I would expect all of these antennas to be relatively similar in overall gain and performance. Of the antennas you mention, I think the two Channel Master products are the same. I have no experience with any of these antennas, but I do like the way the boom braces are mounted underneath the boom on the Channel Master antenna.

Thanks Tim I liked that feature as well, not sure if it ads stability but seems it would.

Cheers Tony


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC