TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Antenna Recommendation (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=9796)

Oldoutboardjim 14-Jul-2012 7:17 PM

Antenna Recommendation

I have a 19 year old antenna (see below), and am looking to upgrade for a better signal.
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...im/Antenna.jpg
We live in the country, approx. 35 miles northeast of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The antenna is about 40 feet above ground level. Current reception (on a scale of 1-10) ranges from 7-8 for most channels, to 3-4 (or worse) for some channels. By the way, we also have a rotator, but it isn't in use (cable is trashed from UV exposure). It could, however, be resurrected.
Anyway, could you please do the following: (NOTE: The current antenna is also used for FM radio reception, so it would be nice - but not mandatory - if the new antenna also receives FM signals):
1) Recommend an antenna(s) that would work well for this application. I did get a recommendation from Channel Master (their CM5016, I believe). Is that a good unit?
2) Comment on what kind of difference I will notice from the current antenna.
3) Advise whether you would recommend any type of amplifier.
Here's the link to my Signal Analysis Report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9900b2ad14d49d
Here's the link to the interactive map (I'm not sure how/if this is any different than the Signal Analysis Report, above):
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9900a360e11e34
Thanks in advance.

GroundUrMast 15-Jul-2012 1:07 AM

Please read through the Guidelines when asking for help. Then post a link to your TV Fool report. We'll be able to be much more helpful with that information at hand.

Thanks

BTW, that's a good looking antenna :)

Oldoutboardjim 15-Jul-2012 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundUrMast (Post 27243)
Please read through the Guidelines when asking for help. Then post a link to your TV Fool report. We'll be able to be much more helpful with that information at hand.

Thanks for the tip. I have edited the original post.

GroundUrMast 15-Jul-2012 3:19 AM

Based on the path profiles in your report (click on the call sign of a station listed in your report), it looks as if there may be some rise in the terrain near your location.

I suspect the greatest improvement in reception would come from mounting higher. Are you willing to consider a tower installation? If so, please run a couple more TV Fool reports, at 60' & 80', then post the link to those.

Electron 15-Jul-2012 8:15 AM

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

A simple reception situation.

This recommendation is based on the , Current Plus Pending Applications Included , tvfool radar plot report for Digital Tv stations/channels.

Install a Winegard HD7698P antenna with a Winegard AP8275 preamp aimed at about 250 degree magnetic compass ,
(south west).

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

At the current antenna height of about 40 feet.

The Tv stations/channels list in the Yellow and Red reception zones to the west south/west down to at least.

KPXM-DT Real UHF channel 40 , Virtual channel (41.1) , ION will be received.

---->How many Tv's are/will be connected?? <----.

The Tv/s Must scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Do Not scan for cable tv channels.

I see no requirement for a antenna rotor at this time.

However keep the rotor , it might be used to fine tune the antenna direction to receive a weak Tv stations/channel.

Electron 15-Jul-2012 8:50 AM

Going on down the list past KPXM.

This is what is on these Tv stations/channels.

K16HY-D Real UHF channel 16 , EWTN Catholic Television.

K25IA-D Real UHF channel 25 , TBN Trinity Broadcasting Network.

WDMI-LD Real UHF channel 31 , Virtual channel (62.1) , Daystar.

K33LN-D Real UHF channel 33 , 3ABN 3 Angles Broadcasting Network.

K43HB-D Real UHF channel 43 , HSN Home Shopping Network.

If the Tv stations/channels listed above are not received at the current antenna height , and you will like to receive them , then a higher antenna height is required.

Any Tv stations/channels below K43HB are un receivable with out going to a much higher antenna height.

Electron 15-Jul-2012 1:32 PM

How many Tv's are/will be connected??

Oldoutboardjim 15-Jul-2012 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electron (Post 27263)
How many Tv's are/will be connected??

Only one TV is connected.

Electron 15-Jul-2012 3:32 PM

Ok thanks , for one Tv connected use a Winegard AP8700 preamp.

Oldoutboardjim 15-Jul-2012 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electron (Post 27250)
Install a Winegard HD7698P antenna

Thanks for the recommendation.
I can't tell, but it doesn't appear that this antenna has FM reception (you may not have noticed that I also use the antenna for one FM tuner)?
If it doesn't have FM reception:
  1. What other antenna would you recommend?
  2. Will the FM reception mess things up? I would prefer to only have one antenna, but don't want to create a significant compromise to my TV signal.
Thanks!

Oldoutboardjim 15-Jul-2012 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundUrMast (Post 27243)
BTW, that's a good looking antenna :)

Good for what - a boat anchor?:D

No static at all 15-Jul-2012 3:52 PM

That antenna does look great for it's age. Haven't seen one in quite a while that isn't missing at least one of the longer elements.

Oldoutboardjim 15-Jul-2012 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundUrMast (Post 27249)
Based on the path profiles in your report (click on the call sign of a station listed in your report), it looks as if there may be some rise in the terrain near your location.

Yes, this area is not very flat.

Oldoutboardjim 15-Jul-2012 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundUrMast (Post 27249)
I suspect the greatest improvement in reception would come from mounting higher. Are you willing to consider a tower installation?

I would really prefer NOT to install a tower.

Oldoutboardjim 15-Jul-2012 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electron (Post 27251)
Going on down the list past KPXM.

This is what is on these Tv stations/channels.

K16HY-D Real UHF channel 16 , EWTN Catholic Television.

K25IA-D Real UHF channel 25 , TBN Trinity Broadcasting Network.

WDMI-LD Real UHF channel 31 , Virtual channel (62.1) , Daystar.

K33LN-D Real UHF channel 33 , 3ABN 3 Angles Broadcasting Network.

K43HB-D Real UHF channel 43 , HSN Home Shopping Network.

If the Tv stations/channels listed above are not received at the current antenna height , and you will like to receive them , then a higher antenna height is required.

Any Tv stations/channels below K43HB are un receivable with out going to a much higher antenna height.

None of those channels sound very appealing. I wouldn't go out of my way to receive them.

coco 15-Jul-2012 10:07 PM

This is the antenna I am using now for over 2 years with no problem.

http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_s...v_antenna.html

This is the thread I started over 2 years ago

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=239

signals unlimited 15-Jul-2012 11:25 PM

DTV/cell phone reception advise and products

That antenna is in great shape..It's designed just like the old JFD, my all time favorite.

It does also have FM, kinda by default. FM falls between channel 6 and 7.

You could install an amplifier, but you would have to trap out the FM, or interference from amplified FM would destroy real channel 9.

If it was mine I would go over the coax and connectors and rewire the Channel Master rotor. Good as new!

Oldoutboardjim 16-Jul-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coco (Post 27288)
This is the antenna I am using now for over 2 years with no problem.

[url]http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_stacker_tv_antenna.html[/url

Thanks for the recommendation.
For what it's worth: I was interested in this 'Stacker' antenna. But I would rate customer service for Denny's at a big goose egg. I emailed them about a week ago with some questions, and haven't received a response. I tried calling them (about a dozen times on different days - during business hours), and I always get the same message that they are experiencing abnormally high call volume and that I should call back later. This type of service (or lack thereof) = 'no sale'.:(

phone man 16-Jul-2012 7:58 PM

I can't help but ask... You mentioned the cable serving the antenna rotor was in bad condition so I wonder what kind of shape the coax between the antenna and TV is in.
If it's old RG59 in poor condtion with iffy connectors you may see a lot of improvement in your existing antenna just by replacing your coax and all connectors. Also verify there are no old splitters or unused coax still connected. How far is it from your antenna to the TV?

Oldoutboardjim 17-Jul-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phone man (Post 27327)
I can't help but ask... You mentioned the cable serving the antenna rotor was in bad condition so I wonder what kind of shape the coax between the antenna and TV is in.
If it's old RG59 in poor condition with iffy connectors you may see a lot of improvement in your existing antenna just by replacing your coax and all connectors. Also verify there are no old splitters or unused coax still connected. How far is it from your antenna to the TV?

I'd guess the distance from the antenna to the TV is ~25-30 feet.
One of these days after the temp cools down outside (about 95 today) I will venture into the 'attic' and back on the roof to see what I can learn about the condition of the cable.