TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Reception Devices (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   tuners in new TVs (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=610)

Jason l 3-Jul-2015 12:17 PM

Sorry about ur new TV experience. Unfortunately I only have experienced. Emerson;toshiba ; old jvc ; and generic analog digital receiver. Best performance is old jvc (not hd). Then new (hd) toshiba. The Emerson was fairly equal to generic converter box. With one great exemption converter has a great guide.i believe up to 6 hrs into future programming.we have vizio smart Tvs at work I put antenna on one. And it has no guide for ota TV.not sure about the tuner sensitivity I got nothing to comare it to at that location.

Stereocraig 3-Jul-2015 4:34 PM

Unfortunately, TV mfrs, don't publish specs on their tuners, like audio mfrs, used to.

I'm not sure how my Bravia would stack up against any of the others out there, but I do receive dozens of channels from 40 and 47 miles out and more. It is pretty close to 5yrs old and has never been used for anything but OTA.

Billiam 5-Jul-2015 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindydale (Post 51911)
>>So I'm Very interested in the same topic as I was geting channels on an old digital JVC tv that I couldn't get on a newer flatt screen generic brand.so when I bought my newest tv I questioned the salesman wich tv had the best ota tuner, he didn't have a clue, so I had him poll up info on the lgs and samsung. Samsung Had more intergraded recevers. Or somthing like that. I got a samsung and it is a little better than the generic one I replaced.<<

I recently bought a Samsung Smart TV, and I'm not happy with the built-in OTA tuner. Does anyone have any recommendations either for technology to supplement the Samsung or a new TV?

Thank you!

Bought a new 32 inch LG a few months ago. Tuner is pretty good for OTA reception. Probably on par with my five year old Sony 32 inch in terms of sensitivity and ability to handle multipath.

cindydale 15-Jul-2015 10:16 AM

Thanks, Jason, Stereocraig, and Billiam! I will look at the brands you recommend.

billydee 11-Feb-2019 10:45 PM

Any recent (2018-19) experience with TCL TV tuners?

I hope I'm not asking the question in the wrong place here. I've been thinking about buying a reasonably priced (less than $500) new 49 or 50 inch TV and I hear pretty good things about the value of the TCL 5 and 6 series.

And since recently realizing first hand that not all TVs have great OTA tuners, I want to be sure I purchase something that will pick up all my available stations.

And TCL fans or foes out there? Or other brands you recommend?
And hopefully not Vizio!

JoeAZ 12-Feb-2019 12:06 PM

Insignia, TCL, Vizio, Haier, Sceptre, etc, etc are examples of
televisions engineered and built to a price point. Some don't
even have direct access (numbers) on their remotes. You
have to scan through the channels every time you want to view
something different. Most Samsung and LG sets have signal
meters, which is important, stable tuners, which is very important.
The vast majority of the others do not..........

billydee 13-Feb-2019 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeAZ (Post 60772)
Insignia, TCL, Vizio, Haier, Sceptre, etc, etc are examples of
televisions engineered and built to a price point. Some don't
even have direct access (numbers) on their remotes. You
have to scan through the channels every time you want to view
something different. Most Samsung and LG sets have signal
meters, which is important, stable tuners, which is very important.
The vast majority of the others do not..........

Thanks for the insight Joe. I think I'm going to give Samsungs a hard look.

Nascarken 13-Feb-2019 5:50 PM

If you are looking too buy a tv I suggest you look at the LG tv with ATSC
Turners