TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Just moved, do I need a more powerful antenna? (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14873)

sippinhenn 14-Sep-2014 11:37 PM

Just moved, do I need a more powerful antenna?

Here is my TV Fool Report and here is My current antenna

Right now it is picking up a few channels, including Fox (29.1). I cannot figure out why the others at at relatively the same distance and direction are not showing up.

Previously I was on the third floor of an apartment complex so it worked rather well at a different location. I am on the first floor of a home now. Here is the TV Fool report there

Do I need to get a more powerful antenna out here? The distance between the two reports (relative to the major stations) is only a difference of about 7 or 8 miles.

Thanks!

timgr 14-Sep-2014 11:46 PM

Certainly the height in the building will matter, all other effects being equal. But there are lots of unknowns with indoor antennas - mostly because the building materials shield the antenna from radio waves, depending on what materials were used, where you are in the building, proximity to sources of interference, etc.

The obvious step is to put up an outdoor antenna, above the peak of the roof. You have the legal right to do that, even if you are a renter.

It's clear that the report at the previous location is much more favorable. Looks like your current location is shielded by the terrain much more. For example KENS was LOS (line of sight) ot your old location, and is now obstructed by the terrain (1-edge diffraction). Lots of the stations exhibit that kind of change. Click on the call sign of each channel to see a prfile of your location wrt the transmitter location.

stvcmty 17-Sep-2014 5:04 PM

Sippinhenn,

You linked to an amplified antenna. On your TV fool plot the top station’s Pwr is highlighted to warn you it is very strong. An amplified antenna with the signal KNIC is giving you is probably overloading the amp and making noise. You probably need to try an unamplified antenna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgr (Post 46538)
The obvious step is to put up an outdoor antenna, above the peak of the roof. You have the legal right to do that, even if you are a renter.

Timgr,

Careful with what you say the antenna rule protects. The antenna rule does not say a land lord must let you put up an antenna on the roof. It has limitations that protect the rights of the land lord. Specifically if the land lord did not want a tenant drilling holes, then a roof install could be prohibited. A non-penetrating roof mount could probably be used, but then there may be debate if the roof is an exclusive use area. If the roof is an exclusive use area and a non-penetrating roof mount was used then there could be a massive liability concern if the weights in the non-penetrating roof mount either damaged the structure or hurt someone. The FCC Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule is important, but in the case of renters without knowing all the details about their lease, the structure they are in, and other pertinent factors, advice on it needs to be cautiously given. Anyone who wants to put up an antenna on a rented structure should discuss options with their landlord first, if needed consult with a lawyer, once all that is in place then buy the equipment and do the install.

timgr 17-Sep-2014 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stvcmty (Post 46605)

... Timgr,
Careful with what you say the antenna rule protects. ...

Yep. Noted. Thanks for the correction.

StephanieS 17-Sep-2014 8:59 PM

Hello Sippenhen,

Yikes, KNIC is laying quite the signal on you.

Your major affiliates are all doable from your current location. My concern is KNIC and where would you intend to mount your antenna.

I agree with the others an unamplified antenna is needed. KNIC's signal is extremely hot, so any amplification will likely cause problems in your reception chain. Further, an outdoor antenna is likely required. Your signals are down in the 30 db range with some terrain blockage. An indoor set top antenna isn't the proper choice here.

If I were installing for this TVfool plot, I'd try to find a location that has some tree blockage in the direction of magnetic 262, while having a more open location in the direction of magnetic 150. My goal would be to "knock down" KNIC's signal as much as I could. Being you are in Texas and trees may not be around at your location, I would test having the antenna maybe 5 or 10' above ground and using the house as shield in the direction of magnetic 262 while having more open line of sight with magnetic 150.

Lastly, you have some distinct headings to consider. How important is KCWX CW? I ask because in addition to broadcasting on real channel 5 (a low band VHF signal), it is off axis of the majority of other stations in your market. There may be some adjustments to consider.

Cheers.