TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Help Needed (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16587)

rlrobinhood 2-Apr-2019 7:56 PM

Help Needed
 
Hi all,

You've been such great help to me in the past. I recently moved to NW Wyoming (Cody WY 82414) and need help getting set up again.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90,
https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903858f597b978

Above are three reports I ran on the webpage. What I'm looking for is recommendations for antennas and any accessories you think I will need. I can place the antenna(s) on the SE corner of my house and can put the antenna(s) above the roof line about 20' off the ground. The cable run from the antenna(s) location to my tv is approximately 60'. So my questions are:

1) It appears I have two clusters of repeaters/translators to the east and to the southwest. Unfortunately, they are in quite different directions. Can you make an antenna recommendation for me or if you think two antennas is a better approach can you recommend the two you think would be best?
2) If two antennas, what combiner do you recommend?
3) How about mast recommendations?
4) Do you recommend an amplifier? which one?
5) Recommended vendors for these product?
6) Did I miss anything?

As always, I really appreciate you help. GREATLY!!!

ADTech 3-Apr-2019 12:58 AM

The translators to your southwest are duplicates of those over by Cody.

A simple UHF-only antenna aimed at Cody should be all you need. Shouldn't need an amp, the calculated signal levels are pretty good and, as long as you can mount the antenna so it has a clean view in that direction, should work fine.

Something along the lines of a DB4e and a 30" or 40" J-mount should work fine.

kb4 3-Apr-2019 1:17 AM

Glad to see ADTech still here giving good advice

rlrobinhood 3-Apr-2019 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADTech (Post 61123)
The translators to your southwest are duplicates of those over by Cody.

A simple UHF-only antenna aimed at Cody should be all you need. Shouldn't need an amp, the calculated signal levels are pretty good and, as long as you can mount the antenna so it has a clean view in that direction, should work fine.

Something along the lines of a DB4e and a 30" or 40" J-mount should work fine.

Hi ADTech,

Many thanks for the reply. I checked out your webpage and found all the products I need. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I do have one followup question. How can you tell if translators are duplicates? I'm just curious. Thanks again!

rabbit73 3-Apr-2019 7:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...7&d=1554318756

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlrobinhood (Post 61134)
I do have one followup question. How can you tell if translators are duplicates? I'm just curious.

Hello, rirobinhood

This is an image of your report:

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...1&d=1554318839

This report from rabbitears.info has a more accurate list of channels and shows the networks:

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...9&d=1554318821

The channel changes because of Repack by the FCC are indicated by the arrows:

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...callsign=k47ad

Click on callsign to see subchannels.

ADTech 3-Apr-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

How can you tell if translators are duplicates?
I cross-checked them on rabbitears.info, just like rabbit73 did. ;)

rlrobinhood 4-Apr-2019 3:49 AM

AWESOME!!! Many thanks guys.

JoeAZ 4-Apr-2019 1:03 PM

Just a thought...... When you install your antenna, try pointing towards
the Southwest and run a scan or two. See how many of those translators
you receive and jot them down. Then point at the other translators to
your East. Again, run a scan and jot down what you receive. Rationale:
You will satisfy your curiosity and see if there are any different programs.
There probably are not.
More importantly, you will know what is possible should one or more of
the translators to your East fail. Translators are not a priority for station
engineers these days. It is always a good idea to have "backup" when one
or more translators fail. Those translators take a pounding on those
mountain tops with the wind, snow and rain.....

rlrobinhood 4-Apr-2019 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeAZ (Post 61145)
Just a thought...... When you install your antenna, try pointing towards
the Southwest and run a scan or two. See how many of those translators
you receive and jot them down. Then point at the other translators to
your East. Again, run a scan and jot down what you receive. Rationale:
You will satisfy your curiosity and see if there are any different programs.
There probably are not.
More importantly, you will know what is possible should one or more of
the translators to your East fail. Translators are not a priority for station
engineers these days. It is always a good idea to have "backup" when one
or more translators fail. Those translators take a pounding on those
mountain tops with the wind, snow and rain.....

Really good point. Thanks JoeAZ! And you are right, those towers to the east of me take a beating on a regular basis and when they go down, it is often days before they are fixed. Many thanks!


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC