TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Special Topics (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Surround Sound Dilemma (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=15066)

Temory 25-Nov-2014 7:47 AM

Surround Sound Dilemma

Greetings folks: I have a fairly decent flat screen TV and I am driving it with Clearstream C4 antenna. My problem is, the TV is not a “Smart TV” nor does it have audio or video outputs (not even a headphone jack). I would like to somehow connect my antenna to my surround sound receiver so I can take advantage of the available 5.1 TV programming.

My question is: Since my receiver does not have a TV antenna connection, do any of you know of a converter to which I can attach my antenna coax that will convert the signal to HDMI or RCA outputs that I can connect to my receiver? I do have an old VCR but I don’t think it will work properly with the digital input and I have also considered using one of those digital converter boxes we had to attach to our old non-digital TVs but that doesn’t seem feasible either.

In any event, I will appreciate any advice and/or suggestions you might be able to offer (other than buying a new TV) — thank you.

Stereocraig 25-Nov-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temory (Post 47949)
Greetings folks: I have a fairly decent flat screen TV and I am driving it with Clearstream C4 antenna. My problem is, the TV is not a “Smart TV” nor does it have audio or video outputs (not even a headphone jack). I would like to somehow connect my antenna to my surround sound receiver so I can take advantage of the available 5.1 TV programming.

My question is: Since my receiver does not have a TV antenna connection, do any of you know of a converter to which I can attach my antenna coax that will convert the signal to HDMI or RCA outputs that I can connect to my receiver? I do have an old VCR but I don’t think it will work properly with the digital input and I have also considered using one of those digital converter boxes we had to attach to our old non-digital TVs but that doesn’t seem feasible either.

In any event, I will appreciate any advice and/or suggestions you might be able to offer (other than buying a new TV) — thank you.

Back in the day, everybody used their VCR as a tuner/ audio source, but that was analog and won't receive digital signals.
A converter box will be perfectly feasible, as long as it has L/R RCA outs and seems like your best option for the time being.

ADTech 25-Nov-2014 11:55 AM

Your antenna cannot be connected to your surround sound receiver, that's not how it works. Additionally, a simple converter box will only provide two channel stereo (DD2.0), it will not provide DD5.1 audio support. You might get by with one of the HD converters with a digital audio output, but it will depend on your inputs to your HT receiver and whether or not you can synchronize the audio to the video.

Frankly, you likely need a new TV if you really want DD5.1.

Stereocraig 25-Nov-2014 12:38 PM

I should've clarified:
Using a convertor box, can only provide basic L minus R surround and pseudo center channel.

No static at all 25-Nov-2014 11:17 PM

How old is your receiver? Does your receiver have any digital inputs?

Temory 26-Nov-2014 7:37 AM

No static at all: The receiver is probably two or three years old and it does have digital inputs.

Temory 26-Nov-2014 7:44 AM

AdTech: I guess my post was a little misleading, I know the antenna can not be connected directly to the receiver, I am seeking some sort of "magic box" (I guess) that would allow me to convert the signal from my antenna into something I could connect to the receiver. I do appreciate your information. Black Friday is coming up — a new TV just might be possible …

Temory 26-Nov-2014 7:53 AM

AdTech: Thanks for the feedback. I was not aware the converter boxes could not provide the DD5.1 audio. By the way, I notice you are with Antennas Direct and I just want to let you know that I think you guys make a great line of antennas — I'm very pleased with mine.

No static at all 26-Nov-2014 12:52 PM

You should be able to connect your TV to the receiver using the optical output. I can't imagine any newer flat screen not having one. Even the inexpensive Insignia, Dynex & Hisense models have them. Some TV's will pass 5.1 & some don't so YMMV.

What model TV do you have?

Temory 26-Nov-2014 6:18 PM

No static at all: The TV is a 40" Samsung, Series 5 - 550 (model name: LN40E550) and it is probably four to five years old. To say the least, it was a "budget model".

No static at all 26-Nov-2014 6:40 PM

Looking at the manual, I see a digital audio output on the back panel. Are you sure you don't have an optical out on the TV?

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/490...page=11#manual

Temory 28-Nov-2014 5:51 PM

No static at all: Mine is different — I wish mine had all those ports. Here is a link to the manual for my TV: [URL= http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201203/20120322100054092/[LD550-ZA]BN68-04313A-00ENG-0223.pdf

(You may have to cut & paste this into your browser.)