TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Help with Antenna Selection - SW Michigan (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=15342)

keller525 3-Mar-2015 3:35 AM

Help with Antenna Selection - SW Michigan

Help with Antenna Selection - SW Michigan

TV Fool comrades!

I'm setting up an attic antenna to pickup channels in the South Haven, Michigan area - transmitters are 30-40 miles away. The best I can do is an attic antenna directed to the northeast. I will have some tree foilage in my way but not too bad. I will be elated if I can pick up basic networks - ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, WTTW and FOX. I tried a table-top Mohu style antenna and could only pick up 3 or 4 channels and only one HD network channel.

I need a recommendation for an antenna and a pre-amp/amplifier. The antenna needs to pick up UHF and VHF channels - I really prefer one antenna to do both if possible due to space restrictions. The amplifier will need to be plugged-in at the TV location (not in the attic) because I do not have power in the attic. The coax run between the antenna and the TV is about 50-feet.

Here is the TV Signal Analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0fda290fc9b

Thank you!!!

GroundUrMast 3-Mar-2015 11:44 PM

I'd opt for an outdoor mounted pair of antennas such as an Antennas Direct DB4E and Antennacraft Y5713. I'd do all that I could to avoid aiming trough trees and structure(s).

If you are unable or unwilling to consider any option other than attic mounting, and you can only consider a single antenna, then I'd suggest trying the Antennacraft HBU-33. If your attic turns out to be a poor reception location, the HBU-33 can be re-folded and moved outdoors.

If driving a single tuner trough 50' of coax, no preamp should be needed.

keller525 5-Mar-2015 4:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundUrMast (Post 49828)
I'd opt for an outdoor mounted pair of antennas such as an Antennas Direct DB4E and Antennacraft Y5713. I'd do all that I could to avoid aiming trough trees and structure(s).

If you are unable or unwilling to consider any option other than attic mounting, and you can only consider a single antenna, then I'd suggest trying the Antennacraft HBU-33. If your attic turns out to be a poor reception location, the HBU-33 can be re-folded and moved outdoors.

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, I am limited to an attic installation. Do you think I will need an amplifier if I use a splitter for two televisions?

GroundUrMast 5-Mar-2015 3:39 PM

I'd try without any amplification, running this test during the install process. If the need for amplification is proven, a preamp or distribution amp can be inserted at any time.

I'd avoid 'deep fringe' high gain amps like the CM-7777 and PA-18... Both are for speciality applications where there are exclusively weak signals present.

The Antennas Direct 'Juice', RCA TVPRAMP1R and Channel Master CM-3410 would be better suited to your application.

keller525 7-Mar-2015 3:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundUrMast (Post 49828)

Since my last posting, my wife has encouraged me to explore a rooftop mounted antenna. What would your ideal choice be for this application if I elected to do a rooftop antenna but only wanted to one antenna for both UHF & VHF stations? Would you still recommend the Antennacraft HBU-33?

GroundUrMast 7-Mar-2015 4:31 AM

I prefer the two antenna combo because it allows for more specific aiming. (I'd start with the UHF antenna facing about 70° and the VHF antenna pointed toward 50°, then fin tune the aim of each to get the best overall reception reliability.

If a single antenna is a must, then yes, the HBU-33 or Winegard HD7694P would be the next best option. I'd use a starting aim point of about 60°.