TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Antenna recommendation (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16655)

fuzzymaster 11-Aug-2019 5:29 PM

Antenna recommendation

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903834d61e880f

Advice on antenna setup here please. I will be putting the antenna on roof. There is a line of trees north of house 100 yds away. Pretty clear other directions.Thanks

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...&study_id=3937

I am hoping for abc, cbs, nbc and fox. Obviously I guess.

OTAFAN 11-Aug-2019 9:55 PM

Hi fuzzymaster:

You're ahead of the game by posting your rabbitears.info report along with your TV Fool one. I think rabbitears.info is more up to date, if I'm correct about this.

I'm not a Tech, but I can try to get you going with what I've learned on TV Fool and at my location here in SOCAL LA/OC.

Your report shows quite a spread of the stations you're looking to receive, abc, cbs, nbc and fox. So you probably are going to need an antenna rotor so you can pick up the station you want to watch at various times, I'm guessing. I know the good Techs here would probably recommend a rotor that Ham Radio Operators use. I think there are several models available and they are heavy duty enough to give you years of use, especially for the cost.

Also, I think you're going to need as large as practical antenna that you could put up on your roof. Winegard, Channel Master and RCA come to mind immediately. I know there are a few others as well. You need as much gain with a larger boom as possible because of the distance to your towers. And you might need a preamp as well, etc.

I'm sure other more experienced TV Fool Techs or posters will be able to help you achieve your goals. Please let the forum know how it all turns out for you once you get set up.

Take care up on that roof (safety first!), and all the best.....

freetvplease 12-Aug-2019 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTAFAN (Post 62027)
Hi fuzzymaster:

You're ahead of the game by posting your rabbitears.info report along with your TV Fool one. I think rabbitears.info is more up to date, if I'm correct about this.

I'm not a Tech, but I can try to get you going with what I've learned on TV Fool and at my location here in SOCAL LA/OC.

Your report shows quite a spread of the stations you're looking to receive, abc, cbs, nbc and fox. So you probably are going to need an antenna rotor so you can pick up the station you want to watch at various times, I'm guessing. I know the good Techs here would probably recommend a rotor that Ham Radio Operators use. I think there are several models available and they are heavy duty enough to give you years of use, especially for the cost.

Also, I think you're going to need as large as practical antenna that you could put up on your roof. Winegard, Channel Master and RCA come to mind immediately. I know there are a few others as well. You need as much gain with a larger boom as possible because of the distance to your towers. And you might need a preamp as well, etc.

I'm sure other more experienced TV Fool Techs or posters will be able to help you achieve your goals. Please let the forum know how it all turns out for you once you get set up.

Take care up on that roof (safety first!), and all the best.....

Would something like a DB8e or HDB8X combined with a Stellar Labs 30-2476 help eliminate his need of a rotor?

fuzzymaster 12-Aug-2019 6:09 PM

Is that a multi directional? I used one at another house with good luck, and was recommended here.

freetvplease 15-Aug-2019 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymaster (Post 62044)
Is that a multi directional? I used one at another house with good luck, and was recommended here.

Yes the DB8e and HDB8X are. Please understand that I'm not recommending these antennas. I'm just curious if these would work in your situation and possibly eliminate the need for a rotor (not that I'm against rotors).

fuzzymaster 16-Aug-2019 12:33 AM

How about a multi directional with amplifier? I could do a rotor, not an issue. I am also looking into getting a used 50'ish tower.

rickbb 16-Aug-2019 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freetvplease (Post 62061)
Yes the DB8e and HDB8X are. Please understand that I'm not recommending these antennas. I'm just curious if these would work in your situation and possibly eliminate the need for a rotor (not that I'm against rotors).

I don't believe that either of those is multi directional. if you remove the reflectors off the back then you can call them bi-directional, but with reduced gain from the front and back. But you'd still get near zero off each side.

rickbb 16-Aug-2019 6:55 PM

Fox and one of your ABC stations are going to be iffy. Fox at a NM of 9 and DB of -81 with a 2 edge signal is going to require some luck along with some serious time spent aiming, tuning, and working minimize cable/splitter losses.

You have a good plan with a 50' tower if you can place it so trees and buildings are not blocking you from the northwest and southeast.