TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Repack VHF (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16725)

rickbb 13-Feb-2020 2:27 PM

Repack VHF

Since the repack in my area I now have 4 stations in the high VHF band instead of just the one previously. I now have RF 7,8,9 and 11 that I "should" be able to recive.

My MClapp DIY 4 bay has been doing a fair job on one with another sporadically being watchable depending on weather and wind.

Providing the weather is not too cold or windy this Sat I will add a new 751E with a USVJ.

We'll see how it does.

OTAFAN 16-Feb-2020 9:58 PM

How did you come out with your new set up, rickbb?

BTW, what market are you in?

TV Fool is still loading S.....L.....O.....W.....hope the Boss resolves the issues very soon!

rickbb 19-Feb-2020 3:31 PM

It was too cold and windy on Sat to get up on the roof for a proper install.

This will require me to remove my existing mast and antenna and rearrange it all, re-aim, tune, etc.

Then had to go out of town until today. If the weather is nice enough this weekend will try again.

rickbb 27-Feb-2020 5:34 PM

Was not able to get up on the roof last Sat. Although warm enough all the snow had not melted off until Sunday afternoon.

Oh well one day soon.

rickbb 27-Feb-2020 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTAFAN (Post 62642)
How did you come out with your new set up, rickbb?

BTW, what market are you in?

TV Fool is still loading S.....L.....O.....W.....hope the Boss resolves the issues very soon!

Oh yeah, I'm in Elon, NC, right in the middle between the "triad" Greensboro/High Point/Winston Salem and the "triangle" Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.

And I'm glad to see the site loading normally again.

bobsgarage 29-Mar-2020 9:54 PM

Rick what happened with your VHF?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickbb (Post 62659)
Was not able to get up on the roof last Sat. Although warm enough all the snow had not melted off until Sunday afternoon.

Oh well one day soon.

Hi Rick just curious as to what happened with your new antenna setup?

rickbb 1-Jun-2020 5:56 PM

Finally got the 751 up on the roof.

Made only seemly marginal improvement, but channel 17, (RF 8), which is the one I was targeting, does seem to be more stable with less drops and pixilation. My Samsung TV shows 2 to 3 bars of signal strength with 18 to 19 SNR.

So I'm declaring success. :)

(I've noticed that anything less than 18 SNR is where I get pixilation and drop outs.)

To recap;

Had a DIY 10x9.5 Mclapp which is doing great, but weak on the VHF band. And the repack is moving more channels to VHF.

So I added a 751e with a AD combiner. The DIY 4 bay is now UHF only and the 751e is VHF only.

The fact that the Mclapp 4 bay received VHF channel 8 from about 60 miles away at all testifies to it's great design.

bobsgarage 21-Jun-2020 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickbb (Post 62907)
Finally got the 751 up on the roof.

Made only seemly marginal improvement, but channel 17, (RF 8), which is the one I was targeting, does seem to be more stable with less drops and pixilation. My Samsung TV shows 2 to 3 bars of signal strength with 18 to 19 SNR.

So I'm declaring success. :)

(I've noticed that anything less than 18 SNR is where I get pixilation and drop outs.)

To recap;

Had a DIY 10x9.5 Mclapp which is doing great, but weak on the VHF band. And the repack is moving more channels to VHF.

So I added a 751e with a AD combiner. The DIY 4 bay is now UHF only and the 751e is VHF only.

The fact that the Mclapp 4 bay received VHF channel 8 from about 60 miles away at all testifies to it's great design.

Very cool, not to sound like a broken record but had you considered Stellar Labs VHF antenna?

I'm just asking because they're relatively cheap easy and pretty wind Worthy.

jrgagne99 22-Jun-2020 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsgarage (Post 62993)
Very cool, not to sound like a broken record but had you considered Stellar Labs VHF antenna?

I agree. From what i've seen and experienced, the 2476 has the highest VHF-hi gain available today.