TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Special Topics (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   RCA VH226F Motor (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16429)

jerrymc 4-Feb-2018 1:34 AM

RCA VH226F Motor
 
Not sure if this happened to anyone, but my 2 year old RCA VH226F rotor antenna motor snapped during the last winds we had here in Fontana, CA. (see pics)
I had the pole tied at 3 different locations so as to not allow the J-pole or extension pole to bend when the winds hit.
I have 2 different antennas on the same pole.
(HD8200XL and the HDB91X)

I didn't think Fontana winds were as bad as Oklahoma or Kansas, but I did notice the metal used for these is a pretty thin joint.

I suppose I can weld the joints back together if my friend will let me use his arc welder. :)
(The last pic is a temp. setup while I attempt to fix this motor.)

Has anyone else had this experience with these VH226F motors???

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i-d...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10yB...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oiO...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r6j...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZkW...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10WF...ew?usp=sharing

rabbit73 4-Feb-2018 6:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...1&d=1517772822

Hello, jerry

What you have up there is too much for that little rotator. If you must use a small rotator, you should use a thrust bearing, also called an alignment bearing. They are a necessary item, but most manufacturers have discontinued them.

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...2&d=1517773000

The trick is to get the rotator and bearing in alignment so that the axis of rotation of the bearing is the same distance away from the mast as the axis of rotation of the motor.

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/TB105.pdf

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...3&d=1517774294

DXEngineering sells the Yaesu Rotator Mast Bearing GS-050
https://www.dxengineering.com/search...rder=Ascending

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ysu-gs-050

You would have to be handy with tools to make it work.

For that much antenna you need a ham rotator, but they are more expensive.
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ysu-g-450a

jerrymc 5-Feb-2018 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbit73 (Post 59595)
http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...1&d=1517772822

Hello, jerry

What you have up there is too much for that little rotator. If you must use a small rotator, you should use a thrust bearing, also called an alignment bearing. They are a necessary item, but most manufacturers have discontinued them.

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...2&d=1517773000

The trick is to get the rotator and bearing in alignment so that the axis of rotation of the bearing is the same distance away from the mast as the axis of rotation of the motor.

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/TB105.pdf

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...3&d=1517774294

DXEngineering sells the Yaesu Rotator Mast Bearing GS-050
https://www.dxengineering.com/search...rder=Ascending

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ysu-gs-050

You would have to be handy with tools to make it work.

For that much antenna you need a ham rotator, but they are more expensive.
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ysu-g-450a

Thank you for the reply.
I did price the ham radio motors and they're out of my price range, but a thrust bearing looks like my solution, if I can get a J-pole that is long enough on the vertical top end.
The J-Poles I have are old Dish/DirecTV mounts, since they're Free. Lol
I thought about mounting a very long pole into the ground, but this area of the roof is directly above a concrete patio, and this appears to be the best area to point at Mt. Wilson's TV towers.

Do you think I can weld/fix this rotor even though it's aluminum cast metal?

Thank you again! :D

rickbb 6-Feb-2018 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrymc (Post 59606)
Do you think I can weld/fix this rotor even though it's aluminum cast metal?

Thank you again! :D

No, aluminum is very difficult to weld and cast is nearly impossible to weld.

rabbit73 6-Feb-2018 2:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickbb (Post 59621)
No, aluminum is very difficult to weld and cast is nearly impossible to weld.

That is correct.

Time for a new rotator, if you need to rotate the antennas.

Stereocraig 8-Feb-2018 8:04 PM

Unless you use a TIG, you'd probably just blow right through the casing. That and lack of contact area Maybe nice to practice on, just don't get discouraged.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC