TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OTA Antenna Options in Florida (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14188)

VeroWing 9-Feb-2014 1:31 PM

OTA Antenna Options in Florida

I'm looking for opinions for a roof mounted (25' AG) OTA antenna to get mainstream tv channels (NBC,CBS,ABC,FOX,etc) for my three tvs. Our home is located center between the two broadcast areas opposite of each other in Orlando, and West Palm, with stations we would like to receive from each. Most stations we are looking to get are between 42-68 miles away, over flat Florida terrain.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94ed5f044c97

Is there an antenna made that will receive stations from both ends, this far away, or am I stuck with cable for mainstream channels. I plan on Netflix/HuluPlus for other tv viewing.

We presently have Comcast cable for phone/tv/internet service, and want to cut cord, except for internet. I really appreciate any learned opinions on how I should proceed, and what my best options are. Thanks, Mike.

teleview 9-Feb-2014 5:15 PM

+=>
----
Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building do not , obstruct , impede , block , reception in the directions of , North North West , South South East.

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU55 antenna aimed at about 339 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

---------

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , 10G201 preamplifier.

---------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D and HFS-3D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com .

---------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the ronard (911) , tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com , or , www.amazon.com .

---------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice is to install the , HBU55 antenna at a location the has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

----------------

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , Often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Channel Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

VeroWing 9-Feb-2014 6:29 PM

I've been advised that the Winegard 7698 would be a good choice for our location, but I'm a little concerned of it's size (14'), and the fact that Signal sources are are in opposite directions, 40-70 miles away, and info I've read on this antenna states that it will block signals from side and rear, which will knock out half my options. I've found this antenna, Solid Signal HDB8X, that manufacturer states will adjust to receive signals from two separate directions, at up to 70 miles away. Does anyone have any opinions or info on this antenna they would care to share with me? Thanks, Mike

teleview 9-Feb-2014 8:41 PM

+=>
-----
Directional antennas such as and not limited to the , HBU55 and HD7698P antennas receive the best in the forward direction , a little less at front angles to the directional antenna , less at back angles to the antenna and less at the back of the antennas.

Directional antennas such as and not limited to the , HBU55 and HD7698P antenna have the least amount of reception , directly on the sides of the antennas.

------------

The Current Tv channels that are being transmitted and received on the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

Your location has receivable Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels in the VHF high band and UHF band.

An Example and not the only example is.

WESH-DT , Real VHF high band channel 11 , virtual number (2.1) , NBC .

Is Weak signal strength at , 11 NM(dB) .

Has 1 Edge signal path obstruction.

And is 68.1 miles distant.

The HBU55 and the HD7698P antennas are Big antennas and as such will receive More signal.

Antennas such as and not limited to the HBU55 and HD7698P antennas are designaed to receive the VHF high band channels an UHF channels.

-----------

The HDB8x and other antennas like it such as the Antennas Direct DB8e , are deigned to receive the UHF channels.

And have a small amount of reception of the VHF high band channel 7 thru 13

A small amount of VHF reception will not work for your reception situation , your reception situation requires a antenna with a high amount of antenna gain for the VHF channels.

VeroWing 9-Feb-2014 9:28 PM

Teleview, thank you for your reply and name/model antenna for our needs. Please excuse my second post, I did it before I saw your reply. One question regarding the Antennacraft HBU55 High-VHF/UHF Antenna, aimed at 339 degree magnetic compass direction. Will mounting this antenna in this direction also pick up signals coming from the 140-168 degree direction too, or does it just concentrate on the signals originating from the general 340 degree area?