TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   boise idaho reception tips/recommendations. (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16391)

shenrie 13-Nov-2017 6:39 PM

boise idaho reception tips/recommendations.

first off, cool site. wish I would have found it sooner, lol.

second, the specs for my area: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60ed1f871cce8b

weve never been much of tv enthusiasts, but the wife has been struck down with a disease called crps and we are pretty much homebodies until her condition (hopefully) goes into remission. that said, I have a 2 part question regarding reception. at home and out camping.

for home. I look at the list in that link and notice some of those channels we have, some we don't, and we have some that aren't listed. currently using bunny ears (for each set, no splitters) and reception is different from one end of the house to the other. we recently picked up a tv for the kitchen and decided to try a different antennae in that room. we picked up a Mohu Mini Flat 25-Mile HDTV Antenna from wallyworld and it seems to pick up quite a bit more than the oldschool bunny ears. so apparently technology with antennae's has come a little ways. im guessing that our old bunny ear setups need to be thrown away and updated. so my question would be is this mohu setup with buying 2 more of for other sets in the house, or is there a better way to go?

for camping... is there anything available for up camping? all we really want is to be able to catch a football game or olympics when up camping and weather keeps us in the rv. we typically camp within 25 miles (as the crow flies) from the main antennae's outside of town, but at times there are taller mtns in the way. im guessing we are pretty limited on this question, but wanted to touch on the subject just in case one of the gurus here had any solutions.

thanks in advance for the help. I searched for other Idaho threads and there really isn't much on here, so I understand there may not be much assistance available. either way, thanks for reading and trying.

JoeAZ 14-Nov-2017 2:36 AM

Welcome!

The TV Fool site has been having issues of late with missing
stations and/or erroneous information in the reports. I went
to another site to find current and future Boise television
stations. I am not a fan of any indoor antenna. Simply stated,
an indoor antenna is akin to a temporary spare on your car.
It can work, short term, but there will be compromises such
as intermittent reception on certain channels or total loss of
signal during inclement weather. You have strong signals at
your home unless there are obstructions, like trees or buildings.
You could try the following. For the price, it is hard to beat.

http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/3...dtv/dp/71Y5463

It comes complete with everything you need. You could mount
outside a window or on facia, pointed towards your Boise transmitters.

There certainly are better and much more expensive alternatives
but this would get you started......

OTAFAN 14-Nov-2017 7:29 AM

boise idaho reception tips

Since you're in a strong signal area at home and camping, if you're not inclined to put up an outdoor antenna, there are several very good indoor antennas which should give you stable signal levels for enjoyable TV watching.

Obviously, an outdoor antenna like JoeAZ recommended will always give you higher signal levels, but not necessarily better picture quality in most situations where a viewer lives in strong signal areas--albeit, depending on your local terrain and home conditions.

I live in a strong signal area here in SoCal OC, and my current set up includes an outside RCA751R and I receive very strong readings on my TVs meter, but I also have experimented with several indoor antennas and even though the signal strength is less than my 751R produces, I do have stable and quality picture viewing.

You might want to consider the Mohu Leaf 50 Amp, or Antennas Direct Clearstream Eclipse Amp, their new Flex, available now at Lowes. Those have served me equally well here and might do the same for you--again depending upon your particular conditions.

I was once advised on this forum by rabbit73, to default to your TV; it will tell you if your antenna is working or not. I have found that to be good advise.

Anyway, I hope my two cents helps and best TV viewing to you. I hope your wife gets well soon.:)

ADTech 14-Nov-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

You might want to consider the Mohu Leaf 50 Amp, or Antennas Direct Clearstream Eclipse Amp, their new Flex, available now at Lowes.
Skip both the Mohu (all of them except, perhaps, the Glide) and the Eclipse, they are UHF-only designs and are very poor on VHF channels. The Flex has both excellent VHF and UHF reception characteristics. It does come with an amp that probably is not needed.

Quote:

I do have stable and quality picture viewing.
That's what's important, the actual signal meter readings from the receiver don't matter as long as you achieve reliable reception.

For a portable configuration for camping and the like, my usual recommendation is for either the C2V or our new C2MAX. Both offer a good amount of performance in a small package and the VHF dipoles easily fold down for packing and transport.

FWIW, the C2V has been my universal "go to" antenna for most non-fringe, non-complicated situations, both indoors and outdoors, for a long time. It's simply a been a great combination of performance, size and ease of use that allows it to succeed for many customers.

shenrie 14-Nov-2017 2:09 PM

JoeAZ, that looks like a easy setup to get going. priced right as well. if I was to get that and setup the house is it better to run the splitter to middle of house and use equal length cables to each tv or is length irrelevant in this scenario? also, is there a recommended splitter? ive purchased at radio shack in the past and lets just say it was less than a stellar piece of equipment.

OTAFAN, we are lucky in the sense that we can see the towers from our house and there is zero anything in the way of reception. no trees, no buildings, etc. ill look into your suggestions further, but I get a lot of varying results looking up flex antennae. can you link me to exactly the one you are recommending?

also, tyvm for the well wishes for my wife. really appreciate that!

ADTECH, is the c2m/max a relatively sturdy unit? we camp out of a 4wd van and we go where you typically don't see campers. the road in and out and cramming an antennae in the mix of everything else could tend to be rough on it. think it is tough enough for hard road use?

appreciate the warm welcome and advice as well. thanks for the replies everyone!

ADTech 14-Nov-2017 6:12 PM

Quote:

think it is tough enough for hard road use?
It will last infinitely longer than would the $25 one from MCM.

OTAFAN 14-Nov-2017 7:37 PM

but I get a lot of varying results looking up flex antennae. can you link me to exactly the one you are recommending?You can go directly to Antennas Direct website to get all the info you need about the new Flex Indoor Antenna. Also, there is another review that just appeared on Tom's Guide on the web.

Skip both the Mohu (all of them except, perhaps, the Glide) and the Eclipse, they are UHF-only designs and are very poor on VHF channels. The Flex has both excellent VHF and UHF reception characteristics. It does come with an amp that probably is not needed.Actually, I was quite surprised from both the Mohu and Eclipse (especially) at the stable picture quality and viewing on VHF in my location here. I also tried their new Glide and the signal strength was better overall, except there was a noticeable drop in real channels 7-9, from 11-13 which were stronger; 7-9 measured around 26-27 on my meter but 11-13 showed 30. So, there was a downward curve in the Glide's performance in my home.

Shenrie, if you're going to watch your TV from your RV, the above Indoor antennas would probably work for you, depending upon where you actually are camping. Antennas Direct has a couple in their RV on their website with an Eclipse Indoor Antenna on their window! And they look happy with their set up.

Anyway, you'll find TV Fool very helpful for your OTA issues. Everyone has always been quick to answer my questions. An essential website IMHO!

OTAFAN 14-Nov-2017 7:46 PM

:confused:

Sorry, Shenrie and Adtech about the lack of wrap around quotes on my above post. I've tried several times to get that right, but I can neither preview my replies before I post to make sure they are formatted right, or get the quotes in grayscale.

Rabitt73 told me once where to include this feature, but it still is not working. Where do you look for the grayscale quote feature, Adtech???

Thanks for the help!

rabbit73 15-Nov-2017 12:05 AM

It's like this:

http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...7&d=1498533066

Select the text, and click on quote icon.

OTAFAN 15-Nov-2017 12:13 AM

It's like this:Ok, rabbit73, I'm giving it another try. I hope this works.....if so, thanks again very much for your help! If not, I did follow your instructions literally to the letter and what more can I do???

OTAFAN 15-Nov-2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

It's like this:
Alright, I just tried it again and this time I hope it works.....

OTAFAN 15-Nov-2017 12:19 AM

PTL and pass the ammunition, he (me) finally figured it out!!! Thanks for your and forums patience while I got up to speed.....

shenrie 15-Nov-2017 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTAFAN (Post 59174)
:confused:

Sorry, Shenrie and Adtech about the lack of wrap around quotes on my above post.

not worried about it at all. appreciate the response no matter how cluttered. makes me work for it a little right? lolol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADTech (Post 59172)
It will last infinitely longer than would the $25 one from MCM.

perfect, exactly the kind of info im looking for. ty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTAFAN (Post 59173)
You can go directly to Antennas Direct website to get all the info you need about the new Flex Indoor Antenna. Also, there is another review that just appeared on Tom's Guide on the web.

ill do a little more reading reviews and see if I can make a decision. thanks for the info!

Quote:

Actually, I was quite surprised from both the Mohu and Eclipse (especially) at the stable picture quality and viewing on VHF in my location here. I also tried their new Glide and the signal strength was better overall, except there was a noticeable drop in real channels 7-9, from 11-13 which were stronger; 7-9 measured around 26-27 on my meter but 11-13 showed 30. So, there was a downward curve in the Glide's performance in my home.

what meter are you speaking of? is this a meter that's built into the tv its self??

Quote:

Shenrie, if you're going to watch your TV from your RV, the above Indoor antennas would probably work for you, depending upon where you actually are camping. Antennas Direct has a couple in their RV on their website with an Eclipse Indoor Antenna on their window! And they look happy with their set up.

my concern here was something that worked through the metal walls and roof, but now that I think about it, the top isn't metal anymore and when top is up its just canvas. so that definitely opens up the options.

Quote:

Anyway, you'll find TV Fool very helpful for your OTA issues. Everyone has always been quick to answer my questions. An essential website IMHO!

im impressed already! thanks again to everyone willing to chime in with their thoughts and opinions

OTAFAN 15-Nov-2017 4:06 AM

Quote:

what meter are you speaking of? is this a meter that's built into the tv its self??
On my Samsung TV, they have the signal meter buried in the menu. I have to go from menu to support to self diagnosis (of all things, you think it was a medical dictionary!) and then my signal meter with a satellite dish appears and the SNR numbers, etc. are all there. It tells me my received signal strength and picture quality et al. Your TV might have another location in the menu where you signal strength is located, depending on make and model.

Quote:

not worried about it at all. appreciate the response no matter how cluttered. makes me work for it a little right? lolol.
Obviously shenrie, you're much more savvy with a computer than me. I feel a bit embarrassed at my computer skills (if you can call them that!), but I get the job done with the patient help of my superior TV Techs, rabbit73, ADTech, JoeAZ and others on TV Fool. I'm thankful they let me hang around with them here. My TV viewing has improved a lot because of their postings. I'm just a lucky so and so.....lol!

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress and where you find pay dirt with your particular antenna(s). I would certainly be interested.

JoeAZ 15-Nov-2017 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=shenrie;59168]JoeAZ, that looks like a easy setup to get going. priced right as well. if I was to get that and setup the house is it better to run the splitter to middle of house and use equal length cables to each tv or is length irrelevant in this scenario? also, is there a recommended splitter? ive purchased at radio shack in the past and lets just say it was less than a stellar piece of equipment.

Without actually being there, it is hard to say what is going to work best with
regard to location of your signal splitter. Length is very, very important.
Keep your cable runs as short as possible. Use RG6 cable and be sure to
ground your system. It can actually improve reception. Not sure who to
recommend on a splitter. You might be best with trial and error. With regard to mounting your antenna. The most convenient location often
times does not produce the best results. Again, trial and error. One
person watching the tv/signal meter and the other moving the antenna
around......

ADTech 15-Nov-2017 1:32 PM

FWIW, online reviews are useless for selecting an antenna since >90% of the reviews don't provide any information that might actually be relevant to YOUR situation.

When it comes to splitters, I just tell folks to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the Ideal branded splitters. They're good enough for almost any application. Heck, you can even go to Walmart and buy the ones there, they'll also work well enough. It's extraordinarily rare that anyone actually needs the "best" splitter that was ever made (whatever that might be).

shenrie 15-Nov-2017 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTAFAN (Post 59181)
On my Samsung TV, they have the signal meter buried in the menu. I have to go from menu to support to self diagnosis (of all things, you think it was a medical dictionary!) and then my signal meter with a satellite dish appears and the SNR numbers, etc. are all there. It tells me my received signal strength and picture quality et al. Your TV might have another location in the menu where you signal strength is located, depending on make and model.

ill have to take a look at our sets then. now you have me curious...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTAFAN (Post 59181)
Obviously shenrie, you're much more savvy with a computer than me. I feel a bit embarrassed at my computer skills (if you can call them that!)...

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress and where you find pay dirt with your particular antenna(s). I would certainly be interested.

psh, no reason to be embarrassed at all. and they aren't really computer skills, its more like forum savvy is all. maybe im the one that should be embarrassed, lol. most computer crap still eludes me.

I will most definitely post up what we end up going with, does and doesn't work etc. might be a while though. currently working a full time and a part time job trying to make ends meet while we fight for my wifes disability status. she hasn't worked since feburary and short term disability ended in august. money isn't exactly flowing well right now :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeAZ (Post 59182)
Without actually being there, it is hard to say what is going to work best with regard to location of your signal splitter. Length is very, very important. Keep your cable runs as short as possible.

that's why I asked if it was better to go to center. that way the cable runs have equal lengths from splitter to ant and each set. does that make sense?

Quote:

Use RG6 cable and be sure to ground your system. It can actually improve reception.

great info. I had no idea about grounding, but makes perfect sense.

Quote:

Not sure who to recommend on a splitter. You might be best with trial and error. With regard to mounting your antenna. The most convenient location often times does not produce the best results. Again, trial and error. One person watching the tv/signal meter and the other moving the antenna around......

np on splitter. lowes is close, ill start there. and understand trial and error. ill bust out the walkie talkies with the wife and go from there. great advice ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADTech (Post 59183)
FWIW, online reviews are useless for selecting an antenna since >90% of the reviews don't provide any information that might actually be relevant to YOUR situation.

oh ya, I take all online reviews with a grain of salt. I usually only read the negative ones anyway. those tell me more then the good reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADTech (Post 59183)
When it comes to splitters, I just tell folks to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the Ideal branded splitters. They're good enough for almost any application. Heck, you can even go to Walmart and buy the ones there, they'll also work well enough. It's extraordinarily rare that anyone actually needs the "best" splitter that was ever made (whatever that might be).

not interested in anything gold plated. just something that wont fall apart as im unpacking it from the wrapper...like it did with my purchase from ole radio shack.