PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Recommendation

Billiam
1-Jul-2010, 12:20 PM
Can someone recommend a heavy duty rotor that will be able to handle a 5 foot mast with a 91XG and YA1713 antenna on top?

Currently I am using a NTE U105 but the load seems too great for it.

Tigerbangs
1-Jul-2010, 1:37 PM
Look at the Hy-Gain AR-40 or an Alliance U-100 or U110 from Norm's Rotor service.
http://www.rotorservice.com

Billiam
1-Jul-2010, 5:56 PM
Norms is telling me that U-100 or U-110 won't handle this load and he's trying to sell me on a $500 setup called the CD-45. Seems like overkill.

No static at all
1-Jul-2010, 7:07 PM
The CM 9521a should be sufficient as long as the 91-XG is on top & the mast length is 5 feet or less. 3-4 feet of height shouldn't really make a difference with VHF, so the 1713 should work just as well 3.5 feet below the 91-XG.

Billiam
2-Jul-2010, 1:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider the CM model and at the same time I will be searching for a used Hy Gain AR 40 or some other heavier duty model.

Tigerbangs
3-Jul-2010, 2:15 AM
The Channel Master 9521a uses the same Chinese-made rotator motor as the NT-105: it's not a solution for you: Despite what Norm says, the Alliance U-110 is a much stronger rotator than the Channel Master and the NTE, and WILL do the job for you. The antennas that you are using are NOT all that big and heavy: no more so than a Winegard HD-8200 or a Channel Master Crossfire 3671

Billiam
3-Jul-2010, 2:23 AM
Tigerbangs. I've started bidding on an AR 40 on E-Bay as we speak. With a little luck I will get that or perhaps a couple of other rotors that are available. Both are much heavier duty than the new CM. Me thinks Normy is taking me for a rube and wants my money. :-) Little does he know.

Tigerbangs
3-Jul-2010, 2:31 AM
Don't blame Norm: He's a good guy with a lot of experience, but he deals primarily with big HAM type rotators: when you told him that you were using 2 antennas, I'm sure he assumed that you were using ENORMOUS antennas, and not the TV antennas that you are really dealing with.

BTW, the CD-45 that he recommended to you would turn your house, while allowing your antenna to remain completely still...LOL...it's THAT powerful!

Billiam
3-Jul-2010, 2:47 AM
Don't blame Norm: He's a good guy with a lot of experience, but he deals primarily with big HAM type rotators: when you told him that you were using 2 antennas, I'm sure he assumed that you were using ENORMOUS antennas, and not the TV antennas that you are really dealing with.

BTW, the CD-45 that he recommended to you would turn your house, while allowing your antenna to remain completely still...LOL...it's THAT powerful!

I guess he's not well versed in TV antennas then. I did tell him that I needed it for the 91XG and YA-1713.

If I wind up with four Super G1483's then I may need to use the unit he recommended. :-)

No static at all
3-Jul-2010, 2:56 AM
The Channel Master 9521a uses the same Chinese-made rotator motor as the NT-105:Are you saying you no longer recommend the 9521a as part of the deep fringe prescription; or is it because the OP prefers the 1713 on top?

No complaints here after 3 1/2 years of moderate to heavy usage.

Billiam
3-Jul-2010, 2:59 AM
Are you saying you no longer recommend the 9521a as part of the deep fringe prescription; or is it because the OP prefers the 1713 on top?

No complaints here after 3 1/2 years of moderate to heavy usage.

The reason I put the 1713 on top is that the TV Fool report shows I get nearly 1 db more of gain with that extra five feet. Since all of my UHF signals are quite strong with the exception of KMIZ 17 it made sense to set it up like this. And according to TV Fool if I go over 20 feet with the UHF then KMIZ 17 becomes too weak to expect to obtain here.

kb2fzq
3-Jul-2010, 10:48 AM
Please don't take TVFool's recommendations as gospel, please experiment with height to determine which height is best for whichever antenna....please...ask me how I know this...

Billiam
3-Jul-2010, 11:15 AM
Please don't take TVFool's recommendations as gospel, please experiment with height to determine which height is best for whichever antenna....please...ask me how I know this...

I know what you mean. I have a friend in MN receiving a VHF 13 all the time even though the signal is listed at -5.5 NM and is listed a Tropo signal.

kb2fzq
6-Jul-2010, 8:17 AM
I know what you mean. I have a friend in MN receiving a VHF 13 all the time even though the signal is listed at -5.5 NM and is listed a Tropo signal.

My point exactly, Bill....

kb2fzq
12-Jul-2010, 9:53 AM
I'm curious how things are are going with the rotor(s), Bill....
We discussed the U-105 on HiDef forum, but with above info, I'm not sure what you have up there....any news?

Billiam
12-Jul-2010, 2:23 PM
I'm curious how things are are going with the rotor(s), Bill....
We discussed the U-105 on HiDef forum, but with above info, I'm not sure what you have up there....any news?

Still in limbo. Didn't win anything in E-bay and at present I am evaluating the situation. I may forego a rotor and use multiple antennas pointed in the three directions where I get signals, positioned on different masts to achieve my object. Two or three masts with each antenna pointing in a different direction and on a different combiner or pre amp should give me good results.

kb2fzq
13-Jul-2010, 9:33 AM
Yeah, frustrating....I guess the 3 direction idea would work, but I still can't state enough, tho, that a rotor gives you endless possibilities...I have found under some weather conditions, a change in direction, just a tweek left or right often will make a huge difference with a channels signal strength, next day I might have to go back to the saved direction...I would be lost without my rotor....and the DX hunt, looking for that distant station in a troposheric ducting condition is just flat out FUN!! Gotta have a rotor for DX'ing...
Well, keep us posted, hope you get it all worked out :D

Billiam
13-Jul-2010, 1:10 PM
^^^I'm still on the fence on this. I guess it will ultimately come down to which configuration will cost less. Clearly I can achieve my objective without the rotor though. I am able to DX from here without rotating the antenna all that much but yes, you are correct I would have the potential to receive channels from the other directions where I don't obtain any kind of "local" signals.

Which rotor are you using? Is it reliable? You have just about the same amount of antennas on your mast as I do. It sounds like the Alliance rotor that TB's recommends will be the best, most cost effective solution for me that will handle the load that I plan.

kb2fzq
14-Jul-2010, 9:10 AM
Well, I use the Centronics AR-500-XL, it has a digital readout on the control box, remote, 16 memories, all that rot...I think it was like around 68 bucks shipping included from Solid Signal....it does the job with whats up on the mast....only thing I would change is the direction readout is in 2 digits, not 3...from, say, 270 to 279 degrees, the readout shows "27", not a 3 digit readout showing "274"....other then that, it''s been a good little rotor...I have found the "initial" button on the remote is my best friend...if I use the manual buttons alot back and forth, it may drift off degrees a little, but initial puts all saved directions back in order....a small issue, but I live with it...I'm sure for a whole lot more money, I could've gotten a rotor with lots more bells and whistles, but this one suits my needs....