PDA

View Full Version : Set up an outdoor antenna

HungHung30
29-Jun-2010, 1:53 AM
My tvfool report: www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9fbe4c323890d7

I just brought a cheap antenna (Qetrra HDTV 22-421HD
UHF:CH 13-68 38dB Grain)

I want to set up at outside. My house front yard is facing on South. I live in Markham ( North of 16th Ave. South of Major Mac. Rd. West of McCowan Rd. and East of Kennedy Rd.)

This is my fist time to use outdoor antenna. I don't have any experience about it. Could you please give me some opinion for how to set up and about those antenna thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
HungHung30

fletch99
29-Jun-2010, 10:57 PM
If you want to put your antenna outside I'd suggest you determine the best way to get it above your roof line. There are a lot of mounting options like a gable mount, chimney mount. tripod mount, towers, push up mast, etc. Run your coax from the balum on the antenna back to a ground block outside. Then from the ground block inside to the TV(s). Ground the mast and the ground block.

You want to point the antenna at the transmission towers using a compass.

Scan your channels. If you're happy with the results you're good.

Dave Loudin
30-Jun-2010, 1:43 AM
There's a forum dedicated to Canadian OTA. Look into this (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129) sub-forum to find the thread for your area. The antenna you have is reLy a UHF-only model. That's fine for now, but CFTO is planning to use channel 9 for digital broadcasts post-transition, and your antenna will likely not pick that up.

You need to mount the antenna such that it will point at due south (180 degrees) to try to get both the local Canadian stations and the Buffalo stations at the same time. You may have to experiment to find the right aim, and it is possible that you can't get both groups with the same aim. Your model is a knock-off of better bow-tie antennas, so I don't know how well it will perform. The gain of the amplifier is not much help in this case.

Good luck!