PDA

View Full Version : Moving need help

deafninja
21-May-2010, 1:16 PM
Ok about to move outside of the city and no cable available. I am wanting to go with DirectTV so I can bundle with my DSL and save a few bucks. The problem is that DirectTV has no local channels for my area but DISH does. I would really prefer to use an antenna to get HDTV locals so that I can use an HDHomeRun with my HTPC. Here are the results for my area http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcd7269075dfcba . It will be a manufactured home i.e. a Trailer. Could I use a set top antenna or should I go with something like the winegard 2200 and get the dish mast attachment would that be a possibility? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave Loudin
21-May-2010, 4:23 PM
Looks like you have a clear shot at all the locals with plenty of signal, which is good news. Before we can give you a particular recommendation, you need to rerun you TVFool prediction at your exact location. Use the "Start MAPS" option, specify as much of your address as you want, then drag the map pointer to be right over your location. Adjust the antenna height to the anticipated height you would put your antenna, then plot the results.

Using a settop indoor antenna could be iffy, since you will be in a metal box. Best bet will be outside, but which antenna depends on your follow-up posting.

deafninja
21-May-2010, 4:30 PM
Ok here is the updated with plots.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcd7277c5f88b2f

teleview
21-May-2010, 6:16 PM
Due to the WIDE SPREAD of television transmitters the winegard GS 2200 will not work at your location. The GS2200 is a bidirectional , 2 directional antenna , forward and back , not side to side. . . IF you will be connecting one Tv , then I suggest the http://www.antennacraft.net/HDView360.html . . . DO NOT put this antenna on the same mast as the satellite dish antenna. Mount it on a separate mast , I suggest a tripod antenna mount on the roof. It is best with broadcast television antennas to get them UP in the Air , clear of obstructions that can block or degrade a broadcast television signal.

teleview
21-May-2010, 6:45 PM
I agree with Dave Loudins Point he is making. Many people that request help do their best to give the absolute bare minimum of information. Over and over again we try and guide people in a process here in post after post. We do our best to make it all as simple as possible. And will go to great lengths to explain it all in every day terms . . Many people that request information do not read the other posts. Many people that request information are only interested in the quick fix , the knee jerk reaction. . . Dave is not picking on you. Dave is doing his best to get people to open their eyes. . . Here is my effort to get you to understand more. Go the >>START Maps<< part of tvfool and have a look at the actual locations of the television transmitters and your location. This will help you to better understand your place in life.

deafninja
21-May-2010, 6:56 PM
No I completely understand found this site have not had chance to fully check out the bells and whistles. I tend to not be a pain when people give suggestions or criticism. I looked at the antenna you provided an really need to find something multi-directional that does not have to be manually rotated I want to be able to hook this up so that I can record on the HTPC when I am away. The main concern is networks NBC/CBS/FOX/ABC as I said I can get through SD on DISH just want to take advantage of HDTV OTA.

Here is the plot info. I tried responding earlier but went to mods. This will probably be a repost and I apologize.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcd724cbd0482e8

teleview
21-May-2010, 7:15 PM
Well Ok try the Winegard Metrostar MS2000 , it is the industry standard for the type and kind of antenna that it is it is the best there is. http://www.winegarddirect.com. . . Please note that omni directional antennas are not truly omni , may need to turn it to find a good position and tighten it up so it will not turn. As I said before it is a good idea to get braodcast television antennas UP in the air , clear of obstructions.

deafninja
21-May-2010, 7:42 PM
Ok one quick question is antennaweb worth a durn because it seems to have completely different information compared to all other websites I have been to.

teleview
21-May-2010, 8:34 PM
I have noticed that antennaweb often has incorrect information. It is Ok to use the tvfool web site and http://www.dtv.gov

deafninja
21-May-2010, 8:37 PM
Thanks teleview. That was the other site I was comparing tvfool to. I was looking at the 30ft telescoping mast which I can bold to our deck and then using an antenna such as this one possibly maybe not this exact one but would a similar type antenna work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3739595#

teleview
21-May-2010, 9:03 PM
The answer is NO. That is a DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA , it points in one direction the FORWARD DIRECTION. Where ever the antenna is pointed , thats the direction it will receive. AT >>START Maps<< you will see that the television transmitters to the North , East and South. Tv antennas come in three flavors , Directional meaning it receives in one direction , Bidirectional-2- directional meaning it will receive 2 directional and omni directional meaning it will receive 360 degree. . This is what my self and others up aganist on these forums. There are millions upon millions of Urban Ledgends out there. Even when people are told the Stone Cold Truth they prefer to believe all these Stupid Urban Ledgends. Here is a Truth , 99.9 % of Radio Shack People can not find their own Ass with there own hands. I go in and quiz them at different stores , a truly sad state of afares. . I am getting up set and misssp[elling words.

teleview
21-May-2010, 9:13 PM
If you really like to find out the Truth then go to . http://www.fcc.gov . click on SEARCH then click on TV STATION QUERY. I will help you understand how to understand the basics of finding television transmitters.

deafninja
21-May-2010, 9:18 PM
Thats why I choose to post here I am fully aware of the urban myth vs. stone cold truth. Its friday take a breath and relax no need to get angry. The only stations I am concerned with are at 141*, 159* and 11* could care less about anything else on that map those will be the core broadcast stations I am looking for. Again I am the padawan trying to learn from some masters so that I can make the best decision possible.

teleview
21-May-2010, 10:11 PM
Many parts of middle and eastern parts of the USA are covered with trees , trees and more trees. It is good to get antenna up high. The pole idea is fine. Here is more information. Directional Tv antennas are the best to have , Reason: Receives one direction and rejects signals on the sides and back of the antenna that can give interference to the stations you will like to watch. . . Bi-2- directional is the next best , it receives signals of 2 opposed directions , but is less effective at rejecting signals from other directions. . Omni- directional tv antennas are last , they receive all signals from all directions , even signals that can/might interfer with the channels you will like to watch. This does not mean it is a bad antenna , it means it might not work well in some situations. . . You said you will like to record some channel when you are away so I am suggesting an omni antenna. An omni is worth a try. . Even though I am not a fan of radio shack , the Metrostar may be in stock. If it does not work for your situation you can take it back and we can do something else. You selected compass readings of a very wide angle of directions , and I agree these are the stations a person will like to watch. . . The Metrostar I suggested comes with the coax cables , Winegard has the same antenna with out the coax cables , radio shack may have that one in stock. . . And here is an other Truth , I am not a master of any thing. . . I am a person that has 'way to much interest' in the basic underlying stuff that our life depends upon.

Dave Loudin
22-May-2010, 12:48 AM
You can determine if additional height will help by going back to the point where you drag the receive point and enter the antenna height. Every time you make a change, the predictions update. So, test different antenna heights to see what works best for you.

Based on your second repot, no single antenna fixed in place will get everythng you want. The HBU-22 will be perfectly fine for the stations to the souheast. The stations to the northeast require too much antenna gain to hope that aiming between stations will get everything. I'd like to see your final report before making any detailed recommendations.

There should be a way to combine two antennas to get what you want.

deafninja
24-May-2010, 7:26 PM
Dave any suggestions on how 2 antenna setup would work. Could I mount 2 antennas on the same mast or would that create some interference between the 2. Also would a multi directional antenna work in my scenario.

Dave Loudin
26-May-2010, 11:29 AM
After looking at your situation a little longer, you might be able to get by with separate UHF and VHF antennas, with the VHF antenna aimed at 141 degrees and the UHF antenna aimed at 11 or closer to true north. The key is the FOX station at 159 degrees. It's a very strong UHF, so you could rely on a sidelobe of the antenna aimed at north, more or less. For VHF, use the AntennaCraft Y5-7-13. For UHF, I'm still pondering (anybody else have a recommendation?). Combine the two with a USVJ and you will be set.

Tower Guy
26-May-2010, 12:20 PM
For UHF, I'm still pondering (anybody else have a recommendation?).

I'd try a homemade McClapp antenna or a Channel Master 4221 HD with the reflector screens removed.